Wednesday, April 15, 2009

SLIPPIN' IN THE DARKNESS........

You know it would almost be laughable if it weren't for the fact that the joke seems to be on US !
The latest "comedy of errors" in regards to Allentown, PA has to do with Daro's Fitness Center. They had a prominent location in downtown A-town and seemed to be trying to take the place of XERTEK, a gym that had been in the same location, previously, for nine years.
Now, to take it back, I run on a daily basis from Hamilton to Cedar Crest Park and I used to pass the new gym and see people doing their early morning work out. One day, a friend of mine, Stacy, caught me running past and came out yelling. She explained how the gym had just opened and she was helping put it together, and how she wanted me to get Alfonso to come and do a video interview with the owner for the e-newsletter, Lehigh Valley Flavor, www.lehighvalleyflavor.piczo.com . She invited me in and introduced me to the owner. He seemed okay. The equipment looked decent. I took a flier and told them I'd let Alfonso know and he'd be in touch. I was happy for Stacy and I made it a point to wave to her as I passed the establishment during my early morning treks.
Let's fast forward two weeks, where I bumped into Stacy at a local clothing store. I asked how she was doing. Her view of Daro's had changed. Apparently, she worked there for weeks and was told when the revenue started to come in, she would reap the rewards. Instead, she was let go and never paid for her past work.
I tend to judge businesses by how they treat their employess and this was not a good look. I told Alfonso and he decided not to give them an interview.
I figured, maybe, this was a case of bad management or a misunderstanding between Stacy and the owner. Who would've thought this would be a sign of things to come....
Well, it seems the City caught wind of Daro's, soon after, and gave them a ceremonial ribbon cutting and endorsements. They even advertised a $99.00/year membership. What do they say about things sounding too good to be true ?
Last weekend, Daro's Fitness Center eased out of town and while calls were made to the police, it didn't stop people from getting scammed royally.
Does it make anyone else nervous when a business, endorsed by the City, can do a "ghetto move" and slip away in the middle of the night (or over the weekend) ?

No comments: