Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Can't We ALL Just Get Along ?

So, my boy, Alfonso, well, Fonzo for short, was on WFMZ Channel 69 the other day. He was on the Tony Ianelli show, Business Matters. It was crazy because the topic was about the legalization of medical marijuana and he doesn't even smoke ! He has NEVER smoked ! He barely knows what weed even looks like ! LOL! But he did his best and did some online research so he could at least "conversate" intelligently.
But, yo, my pet peeve is this: Why was he not called to do a topic like "Non-profits and how they are affecting the people in Allentown" or "Young entrepreneurs and community leaders in the Lehigh Valley ?" No, he gets asked to be on a show with a topic NO ONE wanted to be associated with. Well, Fonzo said all exposure is good exposure, (unless you're that man in the alley in the long trenchcoat on a sunny day) but I think he is wrong and I've told him so many, many times.
Anyway, I wanted to see the footage and found it hadn't even aired yet, but while looking on the internet I ran across a Morning Call article talking about WFMZ Channel 69 and you KNOW I had to go to their comments page to see what was said and it was DISTURBING !
For those unfamiliar with the Morning Call's articles/blogs comments section, I'll say this: If you like to read some of the rudest, vilest, disrespectful and ignorant rantings, opinions, and beliefs, this might be your schtick....
Apparently, there are some very lonely guys through out the Valley because many were very harsh with their judgments of the news women; the weather guy was ridiculed to no end and poor Jaciel, the lone reporting "person of color", was called a token. Are we still that backwards in the Lehigh Valley ?
The next day, I read about an Obama look-alike who lives in Whitehall, PA and is making his "appearance" work for him by being an impersonator. He is traveling all over the world and doing commercials and events. Again, I went to the the Morning Call comments and found more bitterness and anger. Incredible !
So today, I saw President Obama had eased into the war zone and made a visit with the troops. Awesome! This is what America is all about! Support our soldiers !
U-S-A ! U-S-A! Why did I have to go look ? Did I really expect anything different ? I guess some people will ALWAYS have something bad to say.
My point is this, I don't believe the people who make the mean-spirited comments are a representation of the majority of the Valley, but just to know there are people like this, who still exist, makes me wonder am I wrong when I defend the LV to my friends in Baltimore, NYC, or Philly ?
When will the closed minds open ? When will "diversity" and "multi-culturalism" stop being scary words ? When will people realize that America is and has always been a melting pot and it is overflowing with different colors, cultures, and beliefs in our society ? And, in my opinion, THIS is what makes our country great !

- J. Black

No comments: