Sunday, May 19, 2013

The PROBLEM with City Council Candidate ALFONSO TODD ....





"Honestly, I have been told that I am an arrogant, non-conforming, emotional, prideful, non-traditional, transplant who has "rubbed" alot of people the wrong way while championing the city of Allentown and its' residents."

When I first began my campaign on January 1st of 2013, I knew it would be different. My baby daughter, Tallis, had, literally, just been released from Sacred Heart Hospital after a chilling life / death situation. (high fever, unconsciousness,  running through the snow into the ER... you get the picture.) In my mind, that was an omen to push forward and that's exactly what we did.....

Soon after, came the threats of blackmail and continued accusations of being a criminal-minded individual who believed I was above the law because of outstanding parking tickets and warrants which were paid immediately, once they were discovered. http://www.wfmz.com/news/news-regional-lehighvalley/Alfonso-Todd-pays-fine-to-put-parking-tickets-in-rear-view-mirror/-/132502/19018994/-/i9yc9b/-/index.html
The funny thing is, these people were relentless about  smearing my name, my partner's name, and even my former associate's name. It seems my biggest crime against humanity, was associating myself with an 
ex-felon who they insinuated was a danger to the attendees of the positive community events that we produced in the past. What they didn't know was that, during inside affairs, this individual went downstairs, onto the first floor, and manned the door while the women and children enjoyed the festivities on the fifth floor; what they didn't know is that he has started an organization called Ex-Cons For Change Within - an outreach program to help other individuals integrate back into society; and what they didn't know was that the reason people tend to follow, respect and support me is that I believe in bringing out the best in people and allowing them to shine and discover their gifts, not judge and tear them down even further. Whether people like it or not, this individual, as well as hundreds like him, make up the fabric of Allentown and must be approached and assisted. They can either be part of the problem or the solution when it comes to the renaissance of Allentown, PA.

 I took the accusations in stride because I realized that as long as they called attention to me for what they felt were negative reasons, I knew that most people would dig deeper and discover this: http://www.wfmz.com/news/news-regional-lehighvalley/A-march-to-end-violence-and-homelessness/-/132502/9097648/-/138gmjg/-/index.html or this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm_F64m0p6I or even this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5d4Qnc3O40 . (NOTE: These were all events I founded, orchestrated, and assisted in producing because I knew the communities needed them.)

I, then, continued into the wilderness and discovered politics was nothing like I thought it would be. People should remember, I am a grassroots community organizer / event coordinator who has been independent and self-sufficient.There is no group or organization that I have a relationship with that I could call on or who, more importantly, am beholden to, yet, I knew how to create community awareness about my campaign without the "big bucks" because, basically, I had to use the same formula for my business. It seems to have left many people scratching their heads and wondering how I could be making so much traction in the political arena without the endorsement or funding from the "powers that be" ?  I guess ignorance is bliss, in this circumstance, because I was raised believing "Can't never could", "Impossible is nothing", and "Failure is not an option."; so when professional campaign  managers told me there was no way I could win without this budget, that mailing, or those signs, I respectfully nodded my head and continued to plow through.

Who would have guessed that television appearances, public meetings, press conferences, blog write-ups, and internet interviews would cause people to take notice and actually invest in my campaign? I, also, attracted two other political newcomers:
 Kim Velez / https://www.facebook.com/KimVelezForAllentownCityCouncil?ref=ts&fref=ts and
 David Melman / https://www.facebook.com/DavidMelmanForAllentownCityCouncil?fref=ts . We agreed to form a slate and other interested parties created a PAC which assisted us in getting yard signs and professional flyers. It's funny how things tend to come together.... And THAT, is why I tend to be a problem to many.

I am not supposed to exist. I am an anomally. I didn't come up through the political ranks and pay my dues. I am too much of a wild card and may be a little too spontaneous for many. I don't subscribe to the look and feel of a politician that many have come to expect over the years, nor do I, honestly, want to. 

Allentown, PA is changing and the time for "playing games" with its' citizens should be over. There are too many projects and opportunities materializing  for the public not to be involved. As City Councilman, I am going to stay accessible to the citizens, keep them informed of City council decisions, engage the ones who have grown skeptical of our City's government, and include the opinions / thoughts of the residents in all of the decisions that will be made. I will always remember that I am beholden to the public and am their servant, because, although, I may be a community leader, it is the community that makes me so. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

your a phony. go back to miami.

Anonymous said...

i feel bad for melman & velez whom got dragged down w/ you. you obviously didn't tell them about your closet skeletons like you never told your hosts about your sex offender business partner. bad judgement. really bad. go back to ripping off "marketing" clients.