Wednesday, February 1, 2012

A NOW A WORD FROM "Dr. Ethel Drayton-Craig"

Preparing Our Boys To Be Men of High Character

This past weekend I had the pleasure of attending an Annual Business Meeting and Council Recognition Dinner for my regional Boy Scouts Organization. I always look forward to it because it lets us know of the heroic efforts of the young men, younger boys, and adult leaders. Some of the stories reflect extraordinary heroism, caring, and compassion. The talents and skills that they have exemplified often surpass anything my mind can conceive and would put these boys in a league with survivalists and “extreme” outdoorsmen.

I learned that a key issue scouting faces is membership at this time because the young cubs are not crossing over to the troops for older boys and new boys are not entering at the same rate they did in the past.
For the first time I really listened to the words spoken by the scouts as they conducted the honor guard ceremony and I watched the visual power point projection of those words that described what a scout is. This time as I listened, I reflected on the meaning of what was being said as I thought about the state of our nation, our cities, our schools, and our communities. In a world of apparent shrinking resources, climatic change with severe weather related crises, issues of low educational achievement, youth gangs, moral decay and greed, and a grass roots ground swell that says, “I am not my brother’s keeper”, I began to wonder why a parent would not want to have his/her son involved in scouting from a young age through completion of high school?

Unlike the seasonal sports team that may last for three months, the Boy Scouts makes a commitment to that youngster through his 18th birthday!
The oath says: “On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law: to help other people at all times, to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight.”

The character traits that describe a boy scout are: A boy scout is:

Trustworthy
Loyal
Helpful
Friendly
Courteous
Kind
Obedient
Cheerful
Thrifty
Brave
Clean
Reverent

These are traits that could help to turn around the popular culture iconic reverence for celebrity; its disengagement in caring for others; and its lack of discipline needed for success. These traits develop skills to bring dreams to fruition and they foster the pursuit of personal excellence for the sake of excellence. In other words, these are traits that help to ensure a caring, committed society of the future for our grandchildren and their children.
Boy Scouts prepares a boy for life!

About The Writer
Dr. Ethel Drayton-Craig is an inspirational mentor and consultant focusing on Personal Breakthrough coaching. She offers a new paradigm for success and gives a biblical foundation to assist clients in going beyond what hindered them in the past.
© Dr. Ethel Drayton-Craig, 2012

No comments: